This blog contains the best solution that you can use to read MDF file objects. Along with that, I have also shared a manual approach to opening and reading MDF file objects. So, read the entire blog and learn which method is a better fit for you according to your requirements.
MDF aka Master Database File, as we all know, is the primary proprietary format of SQL Server to store its database. This file contains all objects including tables, rows, indexes, triggers, keys, rules, classes, etc. Unfortunately, being a proprietary format, one can only read an MDF file in SQL Server Management Studio.
Therefore, I have drafted this technical write-up for you to learn the top solution that experts recommend for reading MDF file objects without installing SQL Server. So, without further ado, let us get started and see which of the following methods is a better fit for you to successfully open MDF file and read its objects.
Manually Read MDF File Objects Using SSMS
- Install and launch SSMS [SQL Server Management Studio] and enter your login credentials.
- Connect to an SQL Server Instance. When it is visible after connecting, move to the next step.
- Now, right-click on “Database” and select the “Attach” option from the Object Explorer panel.
- Next, click on the “Add” button from the “Attach Databases” window that appeared.
- Then, select the MDF file you want to open and click OK.
- Upon doing so, the (.mdf) will be added to the “Attach Database” window.
- At last, click OK and your database will be attached.
So, this is how you can manually read objects in your MDF file in SQL Server Management Studio. Unfortunately, one can only use this method if you are an SSMS user. If you do not have SQL Server environment to open and read your MDF file then move on to the next segment.
Drawbacks of the Manual Approach
- SQL Server Management Studio [SSMS] has a highly complicated interface that requires technical insights and is not meant for novice users.
- The process also involves a lot of steps which makes it extremely cumbersome and tiring for users.
- As we saw the method is highly technical, the users are required to have appropriate technical insights in order to yield correct results.
Expert Solution on Reading MDF File Objects Without SQL Server
For the automated solution, countless experts recommend using the one and only SysTools MDF File Opener. The astonishing utility is power-packed with specially designed features that make it one of a kind. Along with supporting MDF files from all SQL Server versions, the tool provides two different scanning modes: Quick and Advanced, for users to thoroughly scan and load their MDF files. In addition to that, the tool does not impose any kind of file size restrictions on the MDF files you upload. Moreover, the software comes with a dedicated preview panel that displays all MDF objects and data in a smooth and organized way.
Steps to Read MDF File Objects
- Install and launch the expert utility on your computer.
- Click on the Open button in the top left corner of the interface and upload the MDF file you wish to read.
- Now, choose whether to “Quick Scan” or “Advance Scan” your uploaded MDF file.
- Check the box for the “Preview Deleted Records” if you wish to also see the deleted objects of the uploaded MDF file in the software panel.
- Upon doing so, the software will preview the objects of the uploaded MDF file in its dedicated preview panel.
And that is all for opening and reading MDF file objects without SQL Server using the utility. As you can witness, using the tool makes the process significantly easier than the manual approach or any method available on the internet. In addition to that, there are several other benefits of using this expert utility as well. We have mentioned them in the following segment.
Benefits Associated with the Automated Solution
- It reads and views all objects of the user-uploaded MDF file including tables, rows, indexes, etc.
- The tool comes with a dedicated preview panel that displays all the object data of the user-uploaded MDF file in a clean and arranged way.
- This expert-favorite utility is highly capable of scanning and reading even corrupted user MDF files.
- Moreover, provides two different scanning modes i.e., Quick and Advanced Scan for users to scan their corrupted files.
- Its simple and easy-to-navigate graphical user interface is appreciated by both technically compatible and novice users.
All these features make this tool an incredible choice for users to read MDF file objects in a smooth and hassle-free manner.
So There You Have It
In this article, I shared the top solution recommended by experts to read MDF file objects. Along with that, we also discussed how you can read MDF file objects with a manual approach. Unfortunately, the drawbacks of the manual solution make it an unattractive choice for users. Hence, experts recommend that users choose the above-mentioned automated solution to ensure a secure and reliable process.
Read More: How to Restore SQL Server Objects?